- The region falls within Bhutanese Territory.
- India and Bhutan 2007 Friendship Treaty, Which provide regulations for border dispute
- The India side puts it near Batangla, while China claims that it is located at Mt.Gipmochi further south.
- The Chumbi Valley is vital for India, and any change is fraught with dangerous possibilities.
- The incident stems from difference between India and Bhutan on the one hand and China on the other hand as to the exact location of the tri-junction at BATANG LA between three countries .
It would bring China within striking distance of India's vulnerable "Chicken Neck", the SILIGURI Coridor, the life line of North-East. This has always been seen as India's "ACHILLES HEEL(a weakness or vulnerable point.)"